It’s now official, we are moving to India. I am so excited that I cried!!!!
I need to start a list of things to do before we leave:
- Get visas.
- Get medical stuff in order. That’s a long list of doctors to see. India has wonderful doctors but my understanding is that they have poor facilities and not much access to drugs (the legal kind). So I want to have every mole, every wrinkle, every nook and cranny checked before we go.
- Load up on prescription medicine, including OTC meds such as painkillers. We were told they are prohibitively expensive in India. And I need my Aleve.
- Get shots. Do you know how much I hate shots? I hate them a lot, I really do.
- Find the legal way to get the cats into India. Get their vet papers in order. They will be flying with us as a carry-on luggage. Yes Ma’am.
- Decide what to take and what to leave. That will be fairly easy since we’re hoping for a furnished apartment (they say “flat” right?) and we’re not moving there forever. My winter coats will have to hang in the closet for a while. I guess I am getting a new tailored-made wardrobe!!! (Stephanie, send me your measurements!). So, we’re bringing basic computers, photography equipment, what else?
- Get in touch with every Indian person we know and ask for advice. In the Bay Area, that’s a lot of people who will be giving us advice!
- Learn a few words of Hindi and Telugu. Hindi courses are easy to find. Telugu? Not so much; no Rosetta Stone for Telugu.
And keep calm; everything is going to be alright!